Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Candy and Easter Flowers

Ah, Easter. It's a religious holiday with great significance, and it's also a lovely time to spend with family and children, or, if you have no children of your own, someone else's.

I have very fond memories as a kid of Easter, waking up to find the Easter basket filled with chocolate bunnies and those marshmallow Peeps things, as well as lots of other interesting goodies.

Now that the Easter Bunny has abandoned me in my adult life, I still relish the opportunity to see kids of all ages attacking their Easter baskets and mumching on all the chocolate delicious booty they find there.

Another thing I really enjoy about Easter is Easter Flowers. I grabbed some truly magnificent specimens this morning. There were Easter Lillies, Azaela plants with cute little twisted trunks and what I will call a Stargazer Orchid, even though I don't think that is the correct name.

It looks like a Stargazer Lilly, but it's an orchid instead.

Anyway, I had four grocery bags of candy for doling out to those still favored by his majesty, the Easter Bunny, and it was fun passing them along to the appreciative mouths of those for whom they were intended.

However, make no mistake - I did purloin a few choice pieces for myself.

The best new candy discovery of the year for me though was a delicious little treat which I received as a gift. It was a Butterfinger Egg, a chocolate covered bit of goodness filled with a mixture that can only be described as a combination of Butterfinger and Reese's peanut butter. It was delicious.

So, good flowers, good candy and good times with friends and family made for a fabulous Easter.

No comments: